[OM] Re: Nikon DX 18-200/3.5-5.6G on film

Subject: [OM] Re: Nikon DX 18-200/3.5-5.6G on film
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 17:19:15 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008, Chuck Norcutt wrote:

> Since the 4/3 mount and OM mount have basically the same diameter it
> would have been quite possible to include a mechanical stop-down
> mechanism in the design exactly as Nikon and Pentax have done.  I
> suspect that they never even thought of it just as they never thought of
> the firmware for focal length entry for anti-shake until Pentax showed
> them how.

I think it's more than that.  In the OM's the upward movement of the mirror
is what triggers the lens stop down lever.  There's a large amount of
tension on the mirror frame in order to have enough enegy to move the
levers in those large OM lenses.  I can't imagine the tiny E-system mirror
having enough oomph to push the lens lever as it moves up.  I'm sure they
could have made the mirror frame larger to accomodate the OM lens but that
would have significantly increased the size of the body as well as the
overall cost.  That's something most users probably don't want.
                                                -mark