[OM] Re: Four questions for you experts

Subject: [OM] Re: Four questions for you experts
From: Steven Wymer <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 20:57:35 -0300
Hello Bob,

Heres a fun question. Using OM lenses on the 4/3's system is possible,
and often very useful. I personally have an 18mm F/3.5, 24mm F/2.8,
and 50mm F/1.2 for use with an E410. They make great small kits with
fantastic image quality. However, a few of the lenses you list have
some series issues on digital, such as the 35mm F/2, which gives
substandard results on both the E410 and 1Ds. Also, the slower 21mm or
18mm are much more sought after, as they seem to produce a much better
image on digital. From personal experience, those two look almost like
Kodak HEI in terms of light spread. Not really the best for crisp
enlargements.

However, the 18mm F/3.5, 21mm F/3.5, 24mm F/2.8, 28mm F/3.5, any of
the 50's, 85mm F/2, 100mm F/2.8, and 200mm F/4 all seem to produce
great results for me on both systems.

One other thing that could be said is to look for a used 5D with which
to adapt your OM gear too. The larger viewfinder makes focusing so
much easier than my E410, and although the E3 has a larger prism, it
is still hard to compare to the 5D. This could be a real important
issue here, if you do prefer using MF gear to AF, like I do.

Hope this helps,
Steven