[OM] Re: medium format film scanners

Subject: [OM] Re: medium format film scanners
From: james king <jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 22:45:17 +0100
I have a Nikon 9000ed.

If you are thinking of buying it for medium format then the glass holder
is necessary. The standard holder does not keep the film flat. Its
possible to buy acid etched glass and use tape to turn the standard
holder into a glass holder if you don't want to pay for the official
glass holder.
The scanner is fire wire only - mine came with an add in pci fire wire
card but if you are short of expansion slots firewire built into the
motherboard works too.
If you are planning to scan 6x17 panoramas then you can't scan them in
one pass. The 9000ed will not scan more than about 8-9 inches in one go.
However if you use software like view scan where you can control
accurately the starting point of the scan you can scan in two passes
without having to remove the holder or reposition the film inside the
holder.
Unlike 35mm the gap between each frame varies depending upon the film
back and how you wind the film on in the camera so the scanner can't
reposition to the next frame without being told the gap between frames,
the frame size and the starting point of the first frame. Even then
sometimes even then it still will not scan the entire frame. I do a
preview frame by frame and adjust the starting positions and then do the
proper scan. - its more time consuming then scanning 35mm slides or 35mm
film strips but it works.

If you scan medium format at *full* resolution and *full* colour depth
(including keeping the infra red channel) and do not use any compression
the files are HUGE. one frame is 6x4.5 frame is 450Mbytes. A roll of
6x4.5 will not even fit on a single layer (4.7Giga Byte) dvd! editting
such files in photoshop eats memory like crazy and the main problem is
storing the scans, hard disks fill up very quickly when one

James

Companies Act 2006 : http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/companyinfo