[OM] Re: Portrait PP, Objective, or Subjective

Subject: [OM] Re: Portrait PP, Objective, or Subjective
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:05:47 +1000
Bob Whitmire wrote:

> The Question: If this portrait had turned up in your camera, would
> you have offered the client My version, or His version, or allowed
> her to choose from the two versions or some other version I haven't
> dreamed of?

Noting that mine is a client-less photographer's opinion, I would show
both (and possibly a third, in black and white ;-) ) and let the client
choose, with the suggestion that a middle ground or other preferences
are likely quite possible. I prefer your version, but then I tend to
think of my own photos as showing people (as beautiful) as they are,
rather than as they may wish to be (noting that my family often finds my
photos unflattering or unposed, the latter meant as a criticism). I can
see why a client would be attracted to the second. It is very warm and
welcoming, and "smooth" and looks as I would expect in the "Who are we?"
section of a corporate website. It's not my cup of tea (and, as you
might gather from the above, I intensely dislike the removal of
"laughter lines" for any reason).

> For What It's Worth: Esteemed Wife says my effort this time is the
> first picture she's ever seen of herself that didn't make her want to
> look away....

For what it's worth, your wife has lovely, laughing eyes which you have
captured well, a combination which assists in showing the portrait (and
her) as quite beautiful.

Cheers,
Marc
Noosa Heads, Oz