[OM] Re: Old computers - Geeks and nerds

Subject: [OM] Re: Old computers - Geeks and nerds
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:23:46 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Leandro,

> >  The 80286 really was a stopgap chip, crippled and quickly discarded
> >  as something that really was a bad idea, even for Intel.
>
> That was the 80186.  The 286 was very useful, and would have had a
> much longer life had MS not discarded its plan of migrating everyone
> from MS DOS 3 to MS Xenix.

I could be talking only from the Australian experience, I know about
the 80186 but no one I know even saw one in the wild here in Australia
as the 80286 was released to quickly afterwards for people to bother
putting the 80186 into production here. The 80286 lacked much in the
way of innovation, being a faster 8086 from a 'general' hardware point
of view, guess the same can be said of the 80186 but I had actually
forgotted that chip altogether due to never having seen one.

So I guess I would also agree with your comments about the 80186
though to my knowledge MS Xenix was aimed at something different
that taking over MS-DOS. Mind you, different MS people always
gave different answers to the same question back then :-)

Cheers
Ian Manners
http://www.comkal.net/

*\\ *\\ *\\   <- Tribbles Going Skiing