[OM] Re: Another experience with Nikkor mid-tele zoom lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Another experience with Nikkor mid-tele zoom lens
From: "C.H.Ling" <ch_photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 16:35:37 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Winsor Crosby" <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>

<sanp>

> If a rose is the equivalent of a
> photoshop 256 red the lens cannot make it 300 red. The best you can
> hope for is that your will transmit close to 256 and that it will do
> an equally accurate transmission of the other colors. If it does not,
> then it could look too red even even if it only transmits 225 red. It
> is a question of spectrum balance in the image made up of less light
> than that which hit the front surface of the lens, not that it has
> somehow increased the saturation of red from the front to the back of
> the lens.

You are absolutely right about the numbers of course, I'm just talking about
the effect I see on the final slide/print. Just like in Hi-Fi, pulling down
1KHz is equivalent to boosting the bass and treble.

> I would question whether lens contrast was consciously adjusted down
> in the past  because of film, that is to match them.  I think lenses
> were made as well as they could be seen to function considering the
> level of print material available. When film materials improved and
> larger prints became fashionable so that the lens flaws could be
> seen,  then lens development proceeded.  But I could be wrong and you
> could be correct. Or we are saying the same thing in different ways.

When I was talking about film, it is both slide and negative, print and
negative to me is the same. For over 90% of people using 1 hr lab we are not
able to control the print but different types of film are available for
matching our purpose including matching the contrast of our lenses. I have
no experience in film or camera industry, it is all my guess from
experience.

C.H.Ling