[OM] Re: Another oboy Hong Kong good guy

Subject: [OM] Re: Another oboy Hong Kong good guy
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 17:30:52 -0500
Here's an overview of the stuff that's on the market beyond the cheap
Chinese radio slaves.  You may have to sign up with your email address
to be able to read this but I recommend that anyhow.  Gets you some
useful mailings: <http://www.shootsmarter.com/content/view/217/>

Covered in that review is the Elinchrom "SkyPort" which is the newest
kid on the block.  Reasonably good range and much cheaper than Pocket
Wizards.  These may also be what you're referring to as "designed to
work with a specific brand of studio flash".  If you look at the stuff
on Elinchrom's site you can be forgiven for thinking it only works with
Elinchrom strobes.  The key is to look for the "Universal" model which
works like a Pocket Wizard... no fancy proprietary controls... just fire
the flash, please.  They do, however, support a "group" function which
only fires the lights belonging to a pre-defined group.  You can find
the universal transmitter/receiver at B&H.  Be sure to read the B&H
reviews before buying.  Some think they're great, others have issues.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/505381-REG/Elinchrom_19360_EL_Skyport_Universal_Radio_Slave.html>

There's another company called RadioPopper which has been promising
wonderful new, very low cost radio slaves... any day now.  Problem is
they've been promising and promising for a very long time and have yet
to deliver anything.  They seem to be doing more blogging than product
development. But their latest promise dates are near.  I think caution
is advised. <http://www.radiopopper.com/model_range.php>

Depending on how much distance you need it is possible to hack the cheap
Chinese versions
<http://www.instructables.com/id/Increase-effective-distance-on-_ebay_-flash-remote/>

Dr. Flash