[OM] Re: Professional Associations

Subject: [OM] Re: Professional Associations
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 13:51:59 -0500
I think I'll take a contrary view as seen from Bob's perspective as a
landscape photographer selling out of local stores and galleries.  My
perspective on PPA is what it appears to be to him... that it is
primarily peopled by  wedding, portrait and event photographers.  I went
to one gathering in the Boston area sponsored by PPA and I think the
nearest landscape photographer might have been Bob... in Maine. :-)

I never tried to join myself but I think it can be a good marketing tool
for a wedding/event photographer trying to get started.  I have a friend
who joined when she started trying to get herself known.  She would post
images in stores, restaurants or wherever she could with her card
prominently displaying PPA membership.  Whether it really works or not I
don't know but I think it's a comfort factor (especially to a bride
about to lay out a lot of money) who may not have any knowledge of the
local wedding photogs.  It may at least get them in the door to see your
work.  Now that she's gotten herself somewhat established her business
depends primarily nay, almost exclusively, on word of mouth.  I doubt
that PPA membership contributes much or anything at all... and it's
possible that it never did in the first place.  Very hard to say

For Bob I don't think it will add anything to his business.  According
to his own words he sells about 99% of his prints locally to folks
browsing the local stores or galleries.  Bob's customers are not there
to hire him for custom photography.  I think they'll buy what they like
hanging on the wall and not care one whit that there is or isn't a PPA
logo somewhere.

But the insurance question is a valid one that I don't know the answer
to.  I've posted a note to my friend to get her take on as she's been a
member of PPA now for several years.

Chuck Norcutt