[OM] Re: Professional Associations

Subject: [OM] Re: Professional Associations
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 11:44:41 -0500
Thanx. I'm not much of a joiner, present company excepted, so I'm
reluctant to get hitched up with an association I don't really know
much about. I've seen the PPA logo on some regional portrait and
wedding studios, but that's about it.

The D3 is a pretty sweet machine, weight notwithstanding. Definitely
not a backpacker's delight. But then as the Late Great Walt liked to
quote, anything more than 500 yards from the car is not photogenic.
One comes to quote this often, almost a mantra, when one is lugging a
D3 and a couple of lenses around.

I've been printing some larger images (up to the limit of the Epson
4800), and I'm impressed with what I'm getting. It's also nice not to
have to resample images nearly as much. In fact, with a lot of sizes,
I'm going down, not up, and the resolution actually is getting
higher. With the largest images, (image area 16.5"x24") I'll use
Genuine Fractals. I plan to run some tests on whether GF is worth it
over CS3 at that small an enlargement. The native resolution of a D3
file coming out of Adobe Camera Raw is 240, which translates to an
11.8" x 17.7" image. That's a right hefty size to work with.

No way have I really begun to understand what this camera is capable
of doing, however. Which makes it fun, 'cause it's always fun to be
challenged, especially when one is seeking to capture that elusive
shot that won't come by again, and one is hamstrung by one's
ineptitude. <g>

--Bob Whitmire
www.bwp33.com