[OM] Re: In camera BW vs post processing

Subject: [OM] Re: In camera BW vs post processing
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:20:27 -0500
I would reword your sentence: "The camera just gives you whatever data
the sensor happens to pick up during the exposure which is mainly color
information".  I would change "mainly" to "only" since the camera can't
sense anything that is not a red, green or blue pixel.

If you allow the camera to convert to a grayscale JPEG (without also
saving a raw image) you give up two things... the ability to save the
image as a color image for possible future use as a color image as well
as the ability to apply color filtration as you might have used when
shooting film... unless you also use color filters as you did with film.
  Even then you give up the option of possibly reprocessing the raw file
in a different way.

So, why is there a black & white mode?  The same reason there's a JPEG
option... for those who don't want to or don't know how to closely
control the final image.

Chuck Norcutt