[OM] LCD protectors - another viewpoint

Subject: [OM] LCD protectors - another viewpoint
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 07:57:26 -0800 (PST)
Speaking of LCD protectors, I finally "lost" my LCD protector for the
E-1. I've been thinking of getting a new one, but the question is
"why?"

This is kinda like having slipcovers over your nice furniture to
preserve it.  You spend a fortune and hours upon hours getting a set
of furniture in exactly the right fabric and color and then you throw
a fitted white sheet over it.  And I hate walking on plastic runners
over the carpet!

"Why?""

Who are you saving it for?

My A1 never had a cover over the LCD and it does show.  The
anti-reflective coating (yes, Minolta DID put an AR coating on the
LCD--Canon are you listening?) is a bit spiderwebbed now, but nothing
bad.  But the E-1's screen has remained prestine as they also put a
hardened coating on the glass.

Everytime I think of doing LCD protection (and I have a few times
with cut-down palm-pilot protectors), I look at the compromised image
on the LCD and ask myself who I'm saving the camera for?

It's not like these cameras are going to hold any major value.  My
E-1 is already scratched up from pounding rocks. The A1 is reaching
the end of being serviced by Sony--when it dies, it's totally toast.

We're going to have an entire generation of digital cameras that are
prestine on the outside, dead on the inside--nothing more than shiny,
expensive paperweights.

Who are we saving our stuff for?

AG

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs