[OM] Olympus EC-14 and EC-20 Teleconverters

Subject: [OM] Olympus EC-14 and EC-20 Teleconverters
From: r.burnette@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:20:36 -0500
Am I the only one using an Olympus EC teleconverter? I use and am pleased with
the results of using an EC-14 with my lenses and I am seriously thinking of
adding the EC-20 to my gear.

With all the talk about using the 14-54mm and 50-200mm zooms on E-series camera
bodies, I am surprised that no one has written about using the Olympus EC-14 or
EC-20 Teleconverters with them. We all know that the 2X (compared to 35mm)
equivalency factor for these lenses gives us equivalent focal lengths of
28-104mm and 100mm-400mm respectively. However, I don't recall anyone
mentioning that use of the EC-14 (1.4X) will raise that equivalency to
39.2-151.2mm and 140-560mm and use of the EC-20 (2X) will raise it to
78.4-302.4mm and 200-800mm respectively. Think of the advantage of being able
to use the 14-54 as a 302mm telephoto upon demand. The advantages of an 800mm
lens should be obvious to all.

Gurus -- would that still be f2.8-3.5 or is it f5.6-7.0? Does the 1.4X or
2X teleconverter "loss factor" still apply? I would expect so. Either way, it's
pretty darned good for a "convertible" 800mm lens.

The converters are a compact and lightweight addition to the lenses and add an
inconsequential weight and bulk to one's camera bag. Granted, the
teleconverters are pricey, but when compared to the cost of purchasing an
equivalent telephoto lens, they are a bargain. Especially so since one may
revert to the original zoom lens range in a matter of seconds. Convenience plus
results. Sounds like a photographer's dream to me.

For those list members using kit lenses, just do the math. Think of what a
teleconverter would do for your kit. Depending upon what you shoot, you may not
need that 14-54mm lens after all. You may need a teleconverter instead. The
cost is about the same.  YMMV ;o)

Robert