[OM] Re: TOPE 33: an open (friendly) discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: TOPE 33: an open (friendly) discussion
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:14:29 +0100
Hi guys,

I decided to read a few of the opinions of the list members before replying
myself, and I have pretty much made up my mind and think that C.H. worded it
pretty well:

> I suggest we have to use at least an Olympus lens or Olympus body. This
will
> be similar to what is doing now, I wouldn't consider third party OM mount
> lens an Olympus but if the image is shot with Olympus body it is ok.

By now (i.e. over the past few years) I have had a few requests for
totally-non-Oly-gear pictures to be allowed, and in a way it is very
tempting to open it up for other gear too, but I do feel that it would be a
pity to change the concept we've been able to maintain for no less than 33
installments already. :P
Also, I too am a bit afraid it would indeed become a bit of a different site
by opening it up, as that would basically mean allowing anyone in the world
to participate. Quite cool as far as potential participation levels would
go, but perhaps it would get so big that it wouldn't really be "our
community's site" anymore...

Then, regarding the proposed zone-10 shadow site: I'm not familiar with
zone-10, and this could perhaps work. It would then be nice if that location
wouldn't "take over" TOPE, but rather would be the location to place all
non-Oly contributions... Perhaps that's a workable strategy?
Then, perhaps I could with more or less the same effort just make some sort
of subsections (as proposed too) on the TOPE site, such that we keep
everything together, keep the name and concept still including the 'O' in
TOPE, and still have a subgallery for the other who would like to
participate in TOPE, but can't do so because they don't have (or used) at
least an Oly lens or body.

In conclusion I'm most partial towards the latter idea: adding subsections
to TOPE for non-Oly contributions.

Who knows. Perhaps those subsections will grow so big, that at a later stage
everything will simply be combined into one big Themed Photo Exhibition
site...

As for the practical side of this: I'm not certain when I can get around to
adding such subsections... Perhaps around TOPE 34 or 35 or so? No promises
though, as nowadays a lot of my evening hours are spent on our little baby
girl. :P

Cheers!
Olafo