[OM] Re: gorillapod slr zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: gorillapod slr zoom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 14:46:18 -0800
Komtanoo Pinpimai wrote:
> I'd be more worried if I need to mount it on such heavy body and long lens
> like that (which is what they advertise on the name of it).
> I guess it also depends on the center of mass, besides the advertise weight (
> 3000g ), to avoid putting too much load on a joint.

I just weighed the camera, lens, QR, head, strap - 1800 g., not much
more than half the stated capacity. The lens is only about 10 cm long
and under 600 g, so the load isn't particularly off center for an SLR
with zoom.

So I'd have to say my copy doesn't reliably meet spec.
> In standing position, Ultrapod, should be the better choice because there's
> no joint involves. The true strength of the Gorilla will come out on the
> wrapping position.
> Without the _ neck vertebrae _, it should mostly depend on the strength of
> legs wrapping objects and the strength of head attached to the tripod.

So it would seem. I haven't tested the wrapping thing with the big one.
I wasn't terribly impressed with wrapping the little one, but it has the
neck.
> Anyway, I only plan to mount it with E330 and 14-42 which is about 1/3 of its
> weight spec.

Should be fine.

Moose