[OM] Re: gorillapod slr zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: gorillapod slr zoom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 13:22:14 -0800
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Putting a head on it seems like overkill - the small version was obviously
> outmatched by the E-330.

It doesn't have the "neck vertebrae" that the two smaller ones do.
[Probably a good thing, see below] The legs end in a solid platform with
/14-20 screw sticking up from it. Aiming would involve fine tuning the
bends in three stiffish legs, A touchy and time consuming business. Then
if the camera and lens are heavy, there is the possibility of creep with
sharp bends in the legs.

I would not find it usable without a head and notice that B&H sell it in
a couple of kits with heads.

The inherent weakness with all of them is the unadjustable flex joints,
nine in each leg and a couple in the "neck" of the smaller two. It is
never any stronger than the weakest/loosest joint and I expect them to
loosen up with use. It takes much less than an E-330 to overwhelm the
smallest one. It's fine with the F30, barely usable with the A710
(neck), which has it's tripod socket way at one end, and completely
useless with the A650 (legs), even with the socket in the middle.

All in all, a great idea that's only ok in practice, not great. I was
disturbed by the leg joint creep I experienced yesterday. I had it
sitting on my desk with 5D and 28-300 VC on it while I wrote about it.
The legs were all bent somewhat in various ways. I caught some slow
motion out of the corner of my eye. The leg nearest the edge was slowly
sliding toward the edge. I caught it before it went over - which would
NOT have made me happy.

At first, I thought it was the whole thing a little off balance, which
would be my fault, and the friction of the rubber on the end of the leg
slipping. Further investigation revealed that a leg joint was slowly
moving where one leg had a slightly sharp negative bend in it.

With the legs straighter, it seems secure enough, but I'm going to watch
it more carefully in the future. At least the QR makes it easy to only
have the camera mounted when actually in use.

On balance, I think the Ultrapod may be the better product. Less
flexible on an uneven surface and quirkier to aim and lock, but not
subject to collapsing under weight. On the other hand, it's base is
smaller, so it would be easier to knock over with a large camera and
lens on it. It's closer in size to the medium gorilla. Maybe a larger,
#3 size Ultrapod will show up one day.

The perfect solution doesn't exist, I'm afraid.
> A friend bought a cheap knock-off and found it totally inadequate - avoid
> that.
> It is nice that they sell it unpackaged - to be commended.

It's sold packaged here. The big one used only recyclable cardboard and
twine, but I think I may have seen the little one in plastic a few days
ago. Certainly the packets of extra QR clips were in plastic.

Moose