[OM] Re: gorillapod slr zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: gorillapod slr zoom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 20:56:52 -0800
Dan Mitchell wrote:
>>> The ultrapod has a tiny ballhead on top, which is not strong enough to hold
>>> a very heavy lens,
>>>
>> You're the second to say that. What are people using on it, 80-200/2.8s?
>>

>   It's not so much weight as torque that's the problem -- all the weight is
> off to one side so it's more prone to moving than I liked.
Ah, I see. I suppose I'm odd. With a big camera/lens combo, I line the
lens up with the big, longer leg. Because the ball head has a lower
pivot as well, it's also possible to adjust the center of gravity by
setting that pivot other than straight up.

Then I do any significant azimuth aiming movement by moving the whole
assembly and only do minor left-right framing with the ball.

The natural tendency of right-handers to keep the knob to the right will
actually result in the least stable configuration for a large lens. With
heavy body and small lens, the reverse might be true.

Moose