[OM] Re: DSLR Field of view/magnification differences

Subject: [OM] Re: DSLR Field of view/magnification differences
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:11:34 -0500
Well, there's a major difference in the optics of the viewfinders and
much more than a "slight" difference in viewfinder magnification
Spec data extracted from dpreview's pages:

D50
• Optical fixed eye-level Penta-dach-mirror type
• Frame coverage 95% (approx.)
• Viewfinder magnification approx. 0.75x with 50mm lens at infinity

D200
• Optical-type fixed eye-level pentaprism
• Frame coverage 95%
• Viewfinder magnification approx 0.94x with 50 mm f/1.4 lens

Notice that the D50 uses a penta-mirror (aka dimmer) whilst the D200 has
a real pentaprism.  Both purport to show 95% of the frame but the
magnification on the D200 would show the image as about 25% larger.  The
D50 probably has to stay at lower magnification since, with the dimmer
viewfinder, there's not enough light to go around for a larger image.

What you're interpreting as "wide" is your brain's reaction to bigger
and brighter.

Chuck Norcutt