[OM] OT: in the UK, who is responsible for goods damaged in transit?

Subject: [OM] OT: in the UK, who is responsible for goods damaged in transit?
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 18:53:33 +0000
Hi Chaps

I've gone OT again, but there is a great amount of knowledge and
commonsense around here ...

My son sold a computer to someone in Ireland on the Bay before
Christmas for around 900 jobbies, but insured for only 150.  The thing
arrived damaged.  The chap told my son so, but has only just asked for
his money back.  I have 2 questions:

1. Who is responsible for the damage.

2. Is my son liable to refund the payment?

My inclination, as his father, is to take his side and to advise him
to refuse payment and let the Small Claims system make the judgement.

Chris