[OM] Re: OT - Moose fesses up

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Moose fesses up
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:10:15 +1000
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> ...  The windows of Macca's in this country are
> often spotted with slices of pickle that the youth of the nation have
> 'frisbeed' on to them. That obduracy on big M's part is yet another
> reason that I avoid the place like poison....

Oddly, their obduracy on the matter doesn't extend to ignorance. If I
recall correctly, at one stage they actually ran telly ads that
*included* kids throwing pickles on the "restaurant"'s windows.

I'm not as obdurate as you, however. On a long roadtrip, when the
possibility of getting a petrol station caffelatte that doesn't taste
like (I imagine) garbage-truck-water strained through a post-game
footy-sock filled with powdered coke, I'll snap to attention for a
McCafe latte that at least tastes like they used a clean sock (not to
mention springing for the artery-blowing sweet, sweet plastique that is
a sausage and egg McMuffin). Also on those nights that bring the long,
dark dessert-time of the soul (apologies to the late Douglas Adams), I
feel I could kill every last person that gets between me and a large
caramel McSundae. I don't avoid the place like poison - I rarely and
reluctantly frequent the place like "What's your poison?", and follow it
up with a further unhealthy dose of nauseating regret (I'm sure it's the
regret that's nauseating, yeah?).

I do like a good sandwich though, and Moose's certainly looks like one
of them :) (and my apologies, Moose, for what should be the criminal act
of including its mention in the same breath as that of Macca's). The
camera sounds good too. I find that articulation to be a very desirable
feature of a camera, enabling different points of view, as you
mentioned, and also allowing candids to be taken of people (friends and
family) that otherwise seem to have an instinctive awareness of being
photographed coupled with the celebrity's reflex of waving a "NO
PICTURES!" hand in front of the lens. It's this "reflex" that has had me
practise "blind guesswork" framing with my non-"live view" and
non-articulating cameras - I'm not bad at it, actually, and I've even
stretched it to end-of-arm-facing-back self-portraiture when necessary. :-)

Cheers,
Marc (who is going to 'Sails' http://www.sailsrestaurantnoosa.com/
tonight for his anniversary (which was yesterday actually) and having
Mooloolaba King Prawns, grilled Petuna Ocean Trout, and wild honey and
buttermilk pannacotta, rather than a Quarter Pounder, fries, and an
Apple Pie)
Noosa Heads, Oz