[OM] Re: OT - Moose fesses up [was SDHC deal [was Quick Question]]

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Moose fesses up [was SDHC deal [was Quick Question]]
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 09:23:16 +1100
Mayonaisse only has two fundamental ingredients - oil (pref. olive)
and egg yolk. Anything else is a version of what the English are
legally required to call 'Salad Cream'.  I don
't wish to be dogmatic about that but anyone who disagrees on the
basis of custom or personal delusion is so wrong that they need a
spell in a culinary re-education camp.
Pastrami is good but with cheese? - not exactly kosher now is it?
(and given that it's a Jewish substitute for ham...). I prefer a good
smoked beef myself - cured beats cooked every time.
The cos lettuce looked fine. As did the grain mustard though
horshradish would be more appropriate, and better.
Dill cucumber...now there's a problem indeed. Very European but they
don't match English tastes. Of course, we know of them because
McDonalds insist on putting them in burgers everywhere despite the
fact that they aren't much liked here. You can order one without but
then...you'd have to wait. The windows of Macca's in this country are
often spotted with slices of pickle that the youth of the nation have
'frisbeed' on to them. That obduracy on big M's part is yet another
reason that I avoid the place like poison.
Tomatoes in winter? No it isn't - why would I pick up on that? It's a
pleasant if rather cool summer's day here and the tomatoes in the
organic fruit shop below my studio are big and rich and rine-ripened
and full of flavour. Remember, it's always summer somewhere.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx