[OM] Re: Light box & Loupe?

Subject: [OM] Re: Light box & Loupe?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:06:53 -0500
Moose's reference is interesting and I'll have to study it a bit.  But
the simple formula I used is something I picked up from an Edmund
Scientific book on optics probably 35 or 40 years ago.  They used a
simple definition for the power of a magnifying lens as 10 inches
divided by the focal length of the lens in inches.  I simply converted
inches to millimeters and rounded 10 inches to 250mm.  I believe this is
the formula you'll find used for a jeweler's loupe.  A one inch lens is
considered to be a 10X magnifier.

Actual magnification depends on the relative positions of the eye, lens
and subject but I believe you'll find that 10" or 250mm is used as a
standard since that is the accepted normal distance of the eye from the
printed page for reading.

Chuck Norcutt