[OM] Re: Christmas camera wish list

Subject: [OM] Re: Christmas camera wish list
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:03:09 -0800
John Hermanson wrote:
> does anyone make an lcd that can be seen in bright sunlight?

I hesitate to say this, as each person has different visual qualities
and needs. But for me, yes.

I can recall times when I simply could not see to frame a shot with the
F10. This would occur when in bright sun with it on my face. The
reflection in the LCD was so strong that I couldn't see the image,
already washed out by the light, at all. I would have to hold up my hat
in one hand to frame a shot and it was still difficult.

The combination of whatever they did to the LCD itself (it does have a
bright mode) and much better AR coating on the F30 overcame that
problem. There are times in bright, direct sun where it's certainly
difficult to see the image on the screen. no way to judge focus, DOF,
color, etc., but I've always been able to see well enough to frame the
shot. And in that kind of light, -2/3 EV and everything else will be
fine anyway. Except for the harsh shadows in the resulting images, but
that's a problem for all shots in such light, regardless of
camera/film/sensor.

Shade the F30 with hat, one of those stick-on shades, whatever, and it's
quite good in bright light. I have no idea whether this has carried
through to later models, although I don't see why it wouldn't.

In my decision to go to the F30, the three big factors were better LCD,
manual control/dedicated EV button and even better noise/IQ.

The F30 is much better than the A710 IS, which pretty easily becomes
unseeable in bright light, forcing use of the terrible, wildly
inaccurate, little, tunnel vision optical viewfinder. I would prefer
that it had an LCD as good as the F10 and no optical viewfinder.

As to the LCD on the 5D, I guess I don't really know how good it is in
direct sunlight. As shooting is done through the optical TTL finder,
settings ar on the highly visible b&W LCD on top and viewing can easily
be done in the shade of one's body, I've had no problem/complaint.

I guess that becomes an issue with live view, but I don't have that yet.

Moose