[OM] Re: camera advice

Subject: [OM] Re: camera advice
From: "Matthew Granger" <matthewcharlesgranger@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 21:42:47 +1100
Thanks for your advice Moose.

I am certainly taking as many pictures as I can fit around my daily
schedule, and I am trying new things all the time. I am also reading a lot
and studying exhibits, books an other's work. You are certainly on the money
about the 'gearoholism' - I need to keep focused on what I need and can
utilise, not getting too tied up in technical specifications and amazing
features.

Thanks again, and i will be sure to share  some shots and solicit feedback
sometime soon.

Matt

On 20/11/2007, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Matthew Granger wrote:
> > I have only been shooting a few years, and chose the E500 mainly due to
> > budget, it has international warranty and the option to use my fathers
> old
> > OM lenses.
> >
> Brass tacks? It's more the photographer than the equipment that leads to
> great images. Lists like this tend to accumulate gearheads like me.
>
> The E-500 is rather pedestrian camera, with limitations for some
> particular types of photography, like anything that requires high frame
> rates, for example. It is capable of excellent image results and there
> is no reason to change unless you need to do something it won't or
> decide on another system altogether.
> > As I get more and more into photography, and my budget increases, I am
> keen
> > to move up the ranks a little. I don't want to sink too much into
> > accessories that would then need to be sold off second hand if I jump
> ship
> > to Nkn or Cnon. I would like to get something that has a good array of
> > second hand lenses, and will bridge the gap between enthusiastic
> learner, to
> > true enthusiast (with aim to do some part time commercial work). My LONG
> > term goal is to skill up and hope to move into it as my primary work –
> at
> > which stage I would want to be using a system that goes right up to
> > professional – which is how I got to Nkn or Cnon.
> >
> Again, and I haven't seen your work, so this is based on assumptions
> from your posts and questions, it sounds like you haven't come close to
> exploring the capabilities of what you have.
>
> And you haven't defined what type of commercial work. Product shots have
> a different skill set and require different equipment than journalism,
> than event photography, than fine art, than.... You get the idea. There
> are, for example some kinds of work where it is client expectations, not
> equipment capabilities, that determine what one needs. If you don't have
> the right, expensive kit, you don't get the job. But you are far from
> those sort of problems.
>
> You want to become a good photographer? Forget about fancy, expensive
> equipment, read tutorials, look the work of others, and wear that E-500
> out taking pictures. Learn how to post you pictures, here and elsewhere,
> and solicit comments. Learn to listen to criticism, and praise, which is
> harder, 'cause it can blind you, as a means of seeing more clearly how
> others respond to your work, not to slavishly please them, but to help
> you define what you value in it, where you fall short of your own
> standards and how to improve.
>
> Another young Aussie photographer who used to be on this list did just
> that, and was soon producing images with his cheap, second hand, 'second
> tier" equipment that was a lot better than most stuff done with the best
> equipment. I believe he is off in pro land now.
> [...]

Matt
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most
intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."
Charles Darwin 1809 - 1882