[OM] Flash triggering, was Re: Flash for E500

Subject: [OM] Flash triggering, was Re: Flash for E500
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 07:05:11 -0500
I have encountered something similar when using a cheap obay radio slave
to trigger a Canyon Speedlite from my 5D.  The slave receiver would not
trigger my 540EZ but would trigger a 580EX.  I believe it was related to
the trigger voltage.  The 540EZ was around 3.2 volts and the 580EX about
4.8.  I found it interesting that the later model flash has a higher
trigger voltage.  I note that trigger voltage is also somewhat dependent
on battery voltage and the difference between NiMH, alkaline and
external high voltage sources might be significant.  Been meaning to
test that but haven't gotten any of Walt's round tuits yet.

I note that a Pocket Wizard had no such trouble and is also able to sync
at my 5D's maximum of 1/200.  The oboy slave had to be dropped to 1/180
to avoid an unexposed sliver on the frame.  But I have multiple oboy
slaves of two different types and don't know if this problem pertains to
all of them.  Not triggering the 540EZ is not a problem since it's only
ever used on a bracket and wired to the hot shoe.  Off-camera flash is
handled by multiple T-32's if portability is required or my studio Alien
Bees if not.  The cheap oboy stuff works fine there.  Pocket Wizards are
too rich for my blood.

Dr. Flash