[OM] Re: Darkroom V2

Subject: [OM] Re: Darkroom V2
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 07:07:18 -0800 (PST)
Moose von Digital wrote:
> Maybe you need to hold a contest on Zone-10.com.

Hmm.  Not a bad idea. Might help raise enough funds to pay decent
writers.

> Prize to the person who does the best digital print and documents
> their procedure for use on the site.

I like it.

> Want to get really tricky, shoot B&W film and a DLSR in tandem,
> print from the neg and post the color, RAW digifile, since what you
> really want ( other than to complain) is a way to match pure
> analog B&W with a full digi process.

Well, yes and no.  Analog B&W is less about the end result and more
about the process. There is something "organic" to the darkroom
process which is missing with digital. Digital is too "cut and
dried". When printing under an enlarger, you are, in essence, still
in the capture process. You are still composing the scene and
altering the mood. Every time I make a print from one of my more
sellable negatives, I end up doing something different each time. How
you print is dependant on your mood, the phase of the moon, what
music is playing on the stereo... No two prints are ever the same.
Each is a one-off, hand-made original interpretation. Even when I'm
following detailed step-by-step production notes, there are
variances, and I'm bound to stick my hand under the enlarger to do a
momentary dodge--just because.

With analog, I'm able to lean into the toe and shoulder of the film
and paper. The subtle transitions at the extremes of the tonal
response are impossible with digital. By using "paper flashing",
split-grade printing, or developer-exhaust techniques, you can alter
the "curves" without getting artifacts.

This isn't a case of technical "this is better than that".  With the
latest/greatest paper/ink combinations, we're getting very close to
indistinguishable. This is a work-flow and style issue. It pains me
to sell color prints which are all identical. The only thing that is
"original" to the purchaser is my signature. The sweat was expended
during the one-time "edit process". Now, they are no different than
any other overpriced mass-produced suedo-art at Thomasville Gallery.
"Ooooh, honey, this one is soldout at the publisher. Our McMansion
needs more prints on the walls.  Oh look--clowns!"

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com