[OM] Re: filter rec. for 12-60mm

Subject: [OM] Re: filter rec. for 12-60mm
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 15:53:45 -0500
Coatings serve two purposes.  The front facing elements are coated to
maximize transmission through the lens to the film/sensor.  The rear
facing elements are coated to facilitate transmission in the opposite
direction... back out of the lens such that the reflections that do
occur despite the coatings don't reflect back again.  It takes coatings
on both surfaces to be effective.  Multi-coated surfaces have
diminishing value on primes with only a few elements.  A single
multi-coated element such as a filter added to a zoom lens is of
vanishingly small value relative to a single coated filter.  The
additional light loss or reflection of single coated vs. multi-coated
for a single element would be difficult to measure... probably on the
order of a percent or two.

Chuck Norcutt