[OM] Re: all this talk of big prints got me thinking? whats the best A3

Subject: [OM] Re: all this talk of big prints got me thinking? whats the best A3 printer these days
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 20:51:50 -0400
At 12:22 AM 10/26/2007, Moose wrote:

>What's in a name?

<snip>

>RIP means Raster Image Processor. Seems to me that means something that
>processes an input image to optimize it for the 'raster' and other
>characteristics of a particular printer.
>
>By that definition, the drivers for at least higher end ink-jets are
>RIPs. Likewise, I think Qimage is a moderately priced, and very useful,
>combination of a layout front end with its own, higher quality, RIPs for
>many printers.

Hmmm, sometimes there are specific things that inferred by a
name.  In the case of a RIP I believe that means software that
processes the image data directly into printer instructions and sends
them to the printer bypassing the normal print driver.  On the other
hand, Qimage resizes the image to the native printer resolution and
passes the data to the print driver for further processing.  I've
read that high end RIPs will outperform the print drivers that comes
with most printers  - I've never used one myself so I can't speak
from personal knowledge.  I do know that there is a subset of people
on the Qimage user forum that talk about sending the output from
Qimage to a third party RIP when printing black & white images.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA