[OM] Re: Eco disaster

Subject: [OM] Re: Eco disaster
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:29:07 -0700
> From: "geebee" <geebee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> 60% of all fish caught is processed into fishmeal to feed them
> making them the biggest ocean predator. Just one of them gives off
> enough harmful methane gas in a single day to fill around 400 litre
> bottles. That's 18% of the total greenhouse gases per annum.
> More greenhouse gas emissions than all the transport on earth ?
> planes, trains and cars.
>
> Olympus OM2 SP : Zuiko 50mm f2 macro : Agfa Vista 200
> http://www.geebeephoto.com/2007/07278.htm

Watch it there, Graham. You're crossing the line between politics and
pretty pictures -- not something this group tolerates well!

I happen to agree with you on this one, though. With corn and soybeans
going into fuel tanks of SUVs, there isn't enough food left to run
through an animal, at 10% efficiency. (It takes 10 calories of plant
matter to make 1 calorie of meat, and grain stocks are near ten-year
lows.)

There, I managed to insult farmers, SUV owners, and meat eaters, in
just one paragraph!

:::: The next-to-the last time the world saw a one-party democracy was
Nazi Germany. ::::
:::: Jan Steinman http://www.VeggieVanGogh.com ::::