[OM] Re: iStock

Subject: [OM] Re: iStock
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 23:19:54 -0600
A realistic price is one that justifies the cost and effort involved in
making the product. No manufacturer is stupid enough to sell a product for
less than it cost to make, yet photographers are falling all over themselves
to do exactly that, while claiming that 'economics' forces them to. As we
say out here in the 'old west'...BULLSHIT. The only reason the market rates
are declining is that so many photographers were too stupid to act like
businessmen and instead acted like kids excited that the teacher gave them a
gold star.

I don't know what you do for a living. Most likely it isn't photography, but
you know what? Even if I was a dentist, accountant, mechanic, or waiter I'd
still refuse to give my photography away. Even if my 'real job' paid a
million dollars a year. Would you do your 'real job' for free? Of course
not...you have to eat. Just like I do.

--
Chris Crawford
Photography & Graphic Design