[OM] Re: iStock

Subject: [OM] Re: iStock
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 08:13:57 +1000
I think it's a 'horses for courses' type of scenario and will settle
down eventually. Certainly iStock has a lot of greeting card stuff
and I'm sure that if I were ever to take a truly awe-inspiring image,
I'd list it with a better agency, like Getty themselves. But one
thing that a venture like this does is to grow the market. Once, only
a select few bought and sold goods internationally - now everyone
does it all the time. Ebay probably drove newspapers out of business,
the ones that used classified advertising as a cash cow - not to
mention second hand dealers of various kinds. But mostly the market
adapted in various ways and so will this one. But it will be much,
much bigger.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx