[OM] Re: iStock

Subject: [OM] Re: iStock
From: Marc Lawrence <montsnmags@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:14:09 +1000
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> Once upon a time I tried leadlighting as a sideline (what you call
> stained glass but isn't). Except that the cost and effort of making
> certain types like lampshades was soooo much lower in Asia so that
> was the end of that and the only survivors are the truly, highly
> skilled doing commission work and churches. ...

There's a bloke at Eumundi markets who makes wooden furniture - really
nice stuff too - but he gets people in SE Asia (can't remember where,
but I'd guess Indonesia) to make some of the chairs because it's not
worth his or anyone's time-and-money to do them where he is. It takes
too many hours to make them for what he can sell them for (about $150
each from memory). If he still does one, he just does it for design or
love, not money. His stuff is real good. There's nothing wrong with the
chairs either, which are made to his spec's.

Cheers,
Marc
Sydney, Oz