[OM] Re: Panorama Heads

Subject: [OM] Re: Panorama Heads
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 13:55:26 -0400
Still replying to my own posts.  I've been thinking further on the
Jasper Engineering model and what errors are introduced if you attempt a
three row panorama.  It's not designed for multi-row work but it is
designed to be usable in horizontal or vertical mounting.  The only way
to do a multi-row pano in horizontal mount would be to tilt the tripod
head up and down.  But, using it in horizontal mount, you can simply
rotate the camera around the mounting screw in the camera's tripod
socket.  But as the lens tips up and down there is a small error
introduced in the position of the no-parallax-point.

Assume a 100mm lens and 21 degree horizontal angle of view on a 35mm
camera.  (but vertical in this case since the camera is mounted
vertically)  I'll also assume (just ball park) that the
no-parallax-point is about equal to the focal length away from the film
plane.  To take a 3 row pano we have to tilt the camera both up and down
14 degrees to get a 1/3 field of view overlap between bottom, center and
top frames.  Final vertical coverage is 49 degrees.  Anyhow, tilting the
camera up or down by 14 degrees will mis-position the no-parallax-point
by about 3mm.  Even for relatively close object (like 25 feet) the error
is on the order of 1 pixel or less.  As usual, YMMV and my calculations
may be all wet... but I think it will work.

Chuck Norcutt