[OM] Re: Huge print + E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Huge print + E-500
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 08:32:09 -0400
Frank is correct.  If the camera is not located in the same spot for all
shots each camera position sees a different view of the background
relative to the subject and this is called parallax error.  Actually
moving the camera up the height of the vase and flower with the tripod
will have so much parallax error that no stitching software will be able
to put it together.  You can try if you like but I think you'll be
wasting your time.

When taking landscape panoramas where everything (including the
foreground) is relatively far away one can often ignore parallax error
because it's very small.  Just turning the camera on a tripod or even
carefully by hand will often work.  But if there is a nearby object (and
macro is the extreme case) the camera must be rotated (both horizontally
and vertically) around the entrance pupil of the lens or "no parallax
point".  Some say the "nodal point" but the nodal points of a lens are
actually different animals.  See this link which describes parallax and
the no-parallax-point:
<http://www.panoguide.com/howto/panoramas/parallax.jsp>

Making a macro panorama will be tough since it will require some
precision in locating and using the no-parallax-point.  That point is
also different for each lens and focal length.  But I don't think it's
necessary.

Chuck Norcutt