[OM] Re: Huge print + E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Huge print + E-500
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:22:06 -0400
I've never tried stitching macro before either but I think it would be
very difficult.  It would place a real premium on having the camera/lens
adjusted very, very precisely to avoid parallax error between frames.

But I don't think such sophistication is required.  An image that is 3x3
meters is intended to be viewed from a long ways away.  Some really
rough calculations based on human visual acuity (1/60 degree) tells me
that 23ppi would probably look "sharp" from about 25 feet away.

You could easily do a little experiment.  An 8x10 printed at 23ppi would
be a 184x230 pixel crop of some larger image.  Crop out a piece that
size and try to print it at 23ppi.  Actually, I don't know if typical
software would let you print that coarsely.  But maybe it will.  If it
does then stand back until it looks "sharp".

Time out....

I'm back.  I was curious enough to perform my own 23 ppi experiment and
the quality is actually better than I expected.  I cropoed out a section
of an image as described above and printed it on plain paper at low
(text) quality to make an 8x10.  At 6 feet away it looks pretty good but
I can still see a bit of pixellation along the gunwale of a boat.  By
the time I'm 12 feet back all pixellation is gone.

I used PW Pro to do the cropping, resizing and printing since I don't
know how to do a precise pixel size crop in PhotoShop but it's easy in
PW Pro.

Your camera has an image height of 2736 pixels.  A 2736x2736 crop should
  cover 3x3 meters at 23.2 ppi.  Frame the flower carefully.  z:-)

Chuck Norcutt