[OM] [OT] IBAN transfers (was: little rant on e-mail politeness)

Subject: [OM] [OT] IBAN transfers (was: little rant on e-mail politeness)
From: jem@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 07:16:24 +0200
On 25/08/2007, at 8:47 AM, Stephan Van den Zegel wrote:

> But IBAN transfer inside European Union is (legal obligation)
> free of charge and quite fast (as fast as a national bank to
> bank transfer)... so Iban is bad only when you are not inside
> Europe...

If I may put in my 2 cents: the sender's bank is not legally obliged to
make it free of charge. Some banks charge a fee, some don't, but in no
case should the bank charge more than for a domestic transfer. What you
do need to make it a low-cost, automated IBAN transfer is:

- the currency must be Euros or Swedish Kroner (no UKP as yet, I'm
afraid);
- the sum involved is no higher than 50,000 Euros (that would be a lot
of money to spend in one go on Oly gear, at the hobbyist level!);
- the destination country belongs to the EU + Norway, Iceland &
Liechtenstein;
- the BIC (bank ID) & IBAN (account ID) codes are provided by the
sender;
- he/she requests that bank charges are on a SHARE basis.

The last point is subtle, but makes a big difference in cost to the
sender, regardless of the recipient's bank actual charges. These, BTW,
should be no higher than for an incoming domestic payment if, again, all
of the above conditions are met.

Jose