[OM] Re: Digital Black and White

Subject: [OM] Re: Digital Black and White
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 17:44:20 -0400
That was a big sigh.  Not maligning the whole technique, though one
gallery in Zoto of a couple dozen images using the software I
referenced featured many overcooked results, IMO.  Any technique can be
misapplied.  Thanks for re-posting the link; hopefully will be able to
study it this weekend sometime.  I missed it the first time.

A grateful member of the Assembled Ones,

Mike

**SIGH**

Well, looks like it's time to remind the Assembled Ones of a link I

first posted about a year ago, to what I believe is *the* definitive

article on High Dynamic Range, by my close friend Royce Howland, one of

the moderators over at Naturescapes.net:

      http://tinyurl.com/e5dqp

Read it, know it, live it.  You'll be enlightened.  And you'll stop

accusing HDR of producing "surrealistic overdone" images (it's a

particular misapplication of *tone-mapping*, which is a way of

[mis-]using the additional dynamic range info in HDR-capable images).

Yes, AG, I especially mean *you*.  ;-)

Garth

P.S.:  Royce just showed me a B&W photo he took of a Greek Orthodox

church he ran across on our trip to Crete a couple of months ago.  I
was

blown away by the HDR processing he did.  It's quite capable of fixing

those little detail problems in the toe and shoulder areas of a digital

B&W image.

Now all we need to do is to get the manufacturers to create a camera

that does in-camera HDR capture, so the technique won't be limited to

[relatively] stationary objects/landscapes.  Hello, Olympus?
from AOL at AOL.com.