[OM] Re: Lagers - WAS: Picture without a camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Lagers - WAS: Picture without a camera
From: David Thatcher <davidt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 14:53:45 +0930
On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 09:38:42AM +1000, Andrew Fildes wrote:
> I can go into trendy places full of loud twentysomethings (as Wayne
> and I accidentally did a weekend or so ago) and they're all drinking
> nasty light 'Ice' beers or 'gourmet' imports like Corona (ugh!) - I
> suspect that it's not too challenging for the poor little dears and
> the girls (of both genders) raised on a diet of bland prefer
> something unchallenging. Later they'll switch to cans of pre-mixed
> Jim Beam and coke or vodka coolers which are what you drink when you
> progress just one tiny step from soda pop.
> I have not fallen among barbarians, they have risen around me and
> seem to be winning.
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've got to feel sorry for these poor unfortunates, they don't seem to
realise that beer is a flavour experience involving the nose and taste
buds, not just an exercise in numbing the brain & destroying the liver.

You can't find (Coopers) Sparkling Ale on tap very often any more, only
Pale Ale... So these days I prefer Coopers Stout if I'm out for a
beer... but it's getting harder & harder to get a beer poured from the
bottle, all they want to do is give you a stubby. Then they look at you
funny when you ask for a glass,  & even funnier again when you order one
ahead so you can let it stand for 10 or 15 minutes to come up to
temperature.

Unfortunately my favourite barmaid (already well educated about real
beer by her father) who could pour a stout from the bottle without
waste, has moved on to another pub without live music on a Friday night
<*sob*> <*sniffle*>.

davidt