[OM] Re: Lagers - WAS: Picture without a camera

Subject: [OM] Re: Lagers - WAS: Picture without a camera
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 20:45:18 -0700
Andrew Fildes wrote:
> I can go into trendy places full of loud twentysomethings (as Wayne
> and I accidentally did a weekend or so ago) and they're all drinking
> nasty light 'Ice' beers or 'gourmet' imports like Corona (ugh!) - I
> suspect that it's not too challenging for the poor little dears and
> the girls (of both genders) raised on a diet of bland prefer
> something unchallenging. Later they'll switch to cans of pre-mixed
> Jim Beam and coke or vodka coolers which are what you drink when you
> progress just one tiny step from soda pop.

Here I beg to differ. As with wines, certain beers go better with
certain situations and certain foods than others. With sushi, for
example, Kirin in a restaurant, Pilsner Urquell or Trummer Pils at home.
there are some damn fine pilsners out there in the world. And now
Trummer Pils is brewed in both Vienna and Berkeley. And at least one
Aussie finds it palatable.

"I was talking to a guy at one of those beer tastings at a bottlo the
other night.

He was spruiking Trummer Pils which was sensational but at $18 a 6 pack
a bit pricey.

He reckons Aussie mainstream lager is crap and I had to agree with him
(as long as he topped my tasting glass again).

He tells me he imports the Trummer himself."

And Corona and the equally lamentable Pacifico of the West coast of
Mexico are still better when lying on the beach under a palapa than soda
pop.
> I have not fallen among barbarians, they have risen around me and seem to be
> winning.

Hasn't that been documented since the beginning of writing?
It's been the reverse over my beer drinking life so far. When I was
young, virtually all American beer was light, tasteless stuff. Nowadays
the local markets and drinking establishments are awash with an
astounding variety of specialty beers, some amazingly good, and many
brewed nearby.

Oddly enough, it's largely due to a fellow who lived in the neighborhood
where I grew up. US law only allowed small amounts of home brewing for
personal consumption, the underlying reason why brewing was completely
controlled by big guys peddling tasteless swill. This guy started
brewing at home and selling what we would now call microbrews. I
remember Golden Gate Ale and Golden Bear Lager, the other names escape
me at the moment. When the Feds came after him, he sued, and sued and
sued.... and eventually won.

I don't think he ever made much money at it, but he drastically changed
the landscape of beer in the US. Sort of the Philo T. Farnsworth of
beer, if you equate the old situation to radio. He sold the brands and
they are still around.

Moose