[OM] Re: Olympus Quickmatic EEM?

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus Quickmatic EEM?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:12:18 -0400
I don't know anything about selenium cells either but I will relate my
one experience.  My very first camera (I still have it) is a Petri 7s
with 45mm f/2.8 lens which is surrounded by a selenium cell inside the
filter threads. <http://www.pbase.com/equipment/image/61731065>

I bought the Petri in early 1962 and in July or August 1964 the meter
stopped working after I left it in the trunk of a friend's car in the
hot, Texas summer sun... probable cause but I don't know that's what
actually caused the failure.  I continued to use the camera with a hand
held Bewi selenium meter until I got my first SLR (Miranda GT) in 1968.
(The Bewi meter is long gone, no idea what happened to it)

Then, about 5 years ago, I stumbled onto a junker Petri 7s for $5.  It
was basically the same camera but was obviously a bit later model since
the ASA scale went to 800 instead of 400.  Since the lens and selenium
bits seemed to be intact and I had previously determined that the
galvanometer in my camera was good I bought the junker and transferred
the selenium cell and the ISO setting ring/potentiometer to my camera.
I determined that the selenium cell was still working but that the meter
was about 1 stop off.  I assumed that was due to different resistors to
accommodate the ISO 800 max and that I needed to measure them and swap
in some new ones.  Then I lost interest and the camera is still setting
in a box partially disassembled.

The point of all this is that after roughly 40 years the other camera
still had a working piece of selenium cell.

Chuck Norcutt