[OM] Re: Olympus announces new lens, list member continues to toss coins

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus announces new lens, list member continues to toss coins in jar . . .
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 13:45:31 -0700
Bill Pearce wrote:
> On the subject of new lenses, does Oly now outsource all design and
> production? I mean, I know that in the past, some lenses were outsourced,
> but I understood that many of the signature lenses were produced in-house.
> Now, it seems, rebadged and slightly repackaged Sigma lenses are the norm.

Oly is a small company maintaining three levels of lens lines in order
to keep momentum in their DSLR line. I don't think there's any way they
can do all that on their own. I believe they are designing and making
all the "Top Pro" and most or all of the "Pro" lenses, but collaborating
with Sigma (and ?) on the "Standard" line, or at least part of it.

Certainly nothing new here. M - now S - and P have been selling selected
lenses of independent makers under their own brand for many years.

Moose