[OM] Re: Olympus announces new lens, list member continues to toss coins

Subject: [OM] Re: Olympus announces new lens, list member continues to toss coins in jar . . .
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 16:52:27 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:
> I know people like to say that, but usually when challenged their so
> called  independently made N or C lens is different from the  so
> called "same lens" by the independent.
I did not say N or C, as I believe you are correct. Certainly true for
Canyon, as they had a little movie on their site somewhere showing the
steps in making a lens, including formulating and manufacturing their
own optical glass.

Even in the case of OM, I went so far as to buy a Tokina 35-105/3.5-4.5,
so often reputed to be the basis for the Zuiko. I proved to my own
satisfaction that it was not so.
> Yes, it makes sense for a small company like Olympus to do that, but less
> sense for the two largest lens makers in the business.

Again, I concur, look at what I wrote, "M - now S - and P"

I have more than once noticed an independent maker's lens available in
all common AF mounts except Minolta, and an identical appearing lens
with the same specs available from Minolta in their mount. My memory for
Pentax is less clear, but I seem to recall similar occurrences.

I assume that sometimes they are identical except for color, rubber
grip, etc. and other times the buyer has changes made for their use. I
seem to recall that the 18-180 4/3 zooms are the same optically, but not
electronically?

Moose