[OM] Re: OT? Travel slide, proper ISO

Subject: [OM] Re: OT? Travel slide, proper ISO
From: priit@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 12:42:19 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007, Lukasz Grabun wrote:

> Now, would anyone, please, tell me why, on the Earth, would Eastman
> Kodak misled its own customers with labeling quite expensive slide film
> with the wrong speed? Has anyone ever exposed E100VS at ISO160 and
> processed it normally? Does it even matter if my camera has CW metering
> and I can hardly use spotmetering with OM-4?

If you're asking those questions then it seems to me you've figured it out
yourself already :) Kodak has their own methods of rating their film,
while Kodak users have their own personal preferences which do not
necessarily match the factory recommendation. Let's say Joe Photographer
sets the ISO to 80 on his UltraFlash Spotmaster meter which happens to
have a bent needle. Same results as the 160 guy, but he realizes the
'real' ISO is 80. Better yet, why not publish this important finding on
the Internet :)

At least E-6 processing is relatively consistent. Think about processing
B&W, you can mix and match different developers, EI-s, agitation cycles,
development times. Quite a lot to keep track of, and quite easy to mess
up your film. I thought B&W is idiot proof, until I switched to another
developer for a few rolls and ruined them by overdevelopment (development
times found on the Internet of course).

My advice for normal processing, the best starting point is to rate the
film at the number printed on the box. Until you know for sure that's not
what you want.

priit.