[OM] Re: canon 5d manual focus lenses which work well/poorly?

Subject: [OM] Re: canon 5d manual focus lenses which work well/poorly?
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 23:30:55 -0400
Joel Wilcox wrote:
> As to the K10D -- I've loved what Larry H. has shown us, though I
> assume it's mostly the photographer and not the camera.  Any reason
> actually to think the fabulous backward compatibility of the Pentax
> system actually makes things better or easier with that system?
>
> This whole discussion is making the N system look more and more
> appealing in fact from the standpoint of backward compatibility.
>
> Joel W.

I appreciate the compliment - though the camera's predictability and
accuracy did have its effect by letting me concentrate on what I'm
trying to get with more detail to work with than anything else I tried.

OK, I didn't just pick this specific camera for the heck of it.
According to Moose, I'm the "voice" of Pentax on this list so I'm
supposed to speak up.

When I knew was needing a DSLR, and wanted a bigger sensor than OLY
offered in the proportions I felt at ease with (I had no chance of
affording a 5D - and still don't), I did research trying hard to ignore
brand fanboyism & commercially biased testing which keeps becoming
apparent with N/C depending on who seems to have gotten to the reviewer
first. The only thing I figured I can believe was my own ergonomic
needs, my own photography, and my own eyes.

Before the K10D came out, I bought a Nikon D80 (the XTi felt too much
like toy plastic), with the intention to test the Nikon with the ability
to return it within 30 days. While I had that, the K10D came out and in
December I threw one on my credit card with the same returnability. Now
I had them both with kit lenses. While the Pentax has a decent TTL
wireless flash set-up, the Nikon has a more extensive system. This did
not matter to me as I don't want to use a TTL, preflash system. I  can't
justify $300 flash units, and much prefer the auto flash settings and
controls on my Metz and Vivitar flashes.

Obviously you know what camera I kept. Once you realize that judging a
camera by default settings "out of the box" is RIDICULOUS and really
showed dpreview's (and cameralab's) useless and limited understanding of
various cameras' abilities in real time-practiced use. Especially with
so much ability to tweak the in-camera settings (this is NOT a bad
thing). I found big differences when using each camera over time.

The abilities of the D80 leaned more towards point and shoot tastes. No
matter how much I worked the settings it would inconsistently blow
highlights, and had slightly biased saturation. The NR even in the "off"
position, was NEVER actually off and I would get minutely smeared detail
never to be recovered. This didn't really bother me as I didn't realize
how much detail I was losing until I had the K10D to compare, use enough
to understand what I can adjust, and take identical shots next to the
D80 with the best adjustments I could figure out for both. This was all
with jpg, and the K10D preserved everything I needed (highlights,
colors, detail) with more predictability - all aside from the really
adaptable modes and features.

Substantial time in use is a key necessity. After time spent
understanding what each camera can do, and READING the manual all the
way through, a photographer capable of taking beautiful pictures will be
able to take beautiful pictures with a Nikon D80. On top of taking
beautiful pictures, the K10D just didn't mess with my results as much,
unless *I* wanted it to, and had more capability for accuracy. There was
also an intangible less-digital quality with direct comparison that I
appreciated.

In RAW, the K10D was visually a level above the D80 (now even better
that more and more RAW programs like DX0, etc. have parameters for it).
They're just more color-accurate, no tendency toward cartoony reds, and
a good deal more detailed images - because in the D80, there is
undefeatable NR even in RAW! I found I prefer to make my own NR decisions.

The feature set and build quality of the K10D is no contest. The weather
sealing alone made for a more solid camera. The other features are well
known to those who actually consider the camera. I also liked that
Pentax thought K10D owners would be at an intelligence level not to need
scene modes. The AF is quick and accurate, and I found the differences
negligible compared to the D80 especially when you set up the AF for
speed. The new lenses with motors inside are just about released, so
they've made the rounds to the stores. They AF even quicker from what
I've read.

Backwards compatibility making this easier? The Pentax "A" lenses which
date back to 1980 were chipped and could communicate with the bodies
since back then. Therefore - no stopped down metering - every feature,
auto mode, and focus confirmation works. SMC coating on all of them.
Just no AF.

I've only owned Olympus film cameras, and still have all of them along
with my zuikos, so I was equally free to choose either Nikon or Pentax.
If you don't have blinders on, or are not purely a quantity-of-gear
person with lots of disposable income, you quickly realize the
buy-the-system mantra is basically flatulence with a cherry on top. Any
lens I can conceive of needing based on whatever budget I have is
available, though at the moment not ALL have the word "Pentax" written
on them, but so what. Even that's changing. Pentax is now owned by Hoya
where just about everybody buys their glass blanks from. The top notch
factory stuff is cheaper than N/C (even Oly) as well.

I returned the D80 on the 28th day. The K10D was cheaper so I put the
price difference into my $149 Tamron 70-300mm LD Di.

Larry