[OM] Re: 410 review at dpreview

Subject: [OM] Re: 410 review at dpreview
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:17:16 +0800
I think over the years - and I haven't been bothered to keep up since the
last time I had a huge argument with the management - something must have
happened in and amongst the family. Originally it was a corner drugstore of
the same name but when the son, Alan Michael, took over as a young
pharmacist, he began to sell photographic chemicals and he took off from
there; slowly bringing in cameras etc until his father basically gave up on
'straightening' him up.
Alan Michael must be getting on in age now but boy, he has a nice collection
of cars and if I can remember, he had a Ferrari 328GTB and some rotten Jags.
He has three sons and I'm told that his eldest, Tony Michael, who basically
was the linchpin behind the whole store operations had left. And perhaps
because of that, Michaels Camera & Video isn't what it used to be. It's sad
in a way but in another, I'm glad there are other stores that offer better
deals.

Wayne/Andrew, which parts of Melbourne are both of you in? I could be
returning home by early next year if luck holds.

K.

On 15/06/07, Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Things have changed. Michaels is always overpriced for used and has
> had a major refit to become just another prosumer store. The museum
> has been formalised on the second and is open to any moocher who can
> make it up the stairs - nice collection of books for sale there too.
> Camera Exchange is the premier pro shop these days just up the hill
> from Michaels and is the main Melbourne Leica dealer for openers.  It
> is the place perhaps. The guy who runs it has done very well and has
> a warehouse full of bits which we try to get him to open occasionally
> so we can trawl trough the goodies. Got some great stuff last time.
> The warehouse is the sort  of place where he goes 'Visoflex? Yeah,
> there's a box of it over there' and there is, a box the size of a tea
> chest with three guys head down in it.
> Andrew Fildes
> afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> On 15/06/2007, at 9:03 PM, khen lim wrote:
>
> > Oh yes, Camera Exchange, that dinky shop right next to Wilson's
> > parking
> > building. Not sure if it's still there now but I do remember always
> > having a
> > peek there to see what they have. But when it comes to preowned gear,
> > Michael's is pretty much a very good place to start and if you're nice
> > enough to the owners - the Michael family - they'll take you up to
> > the third
> > floor where they have an ENORMOUS library of collectible cameras
> > that few of
> > us could even see anywhere else in the world.

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people" - Emily
Cox