[OM] Re: 410 review at dpreview

Subject: [OM] Re: 410 review at dpreview
From: "khen lim" <castanet.xiosnetworks@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 19:25:47 +0800
You're right, Wayne. I used to work there as in senior sales and junior
management. I was managing the first floor operations at a time when Kodak
came in with their fantastic S-AV Carousel multi-projector system including
the lap-dissolve editing gear from Tascam. I loved it but in the end it
really didn't work out because there wasn't much sales traffic in that area.
We all might not agree with how they <acquired> the gear that made up much
of its museum but every factory personnel - be it from Olympus, Nikon,
(then) Minolta or even Leica - would pay them a visit. It isn't everyday
that a little "corner camera store" that was once a pharmacy could enjoy
this level of attention.
It was very tough working there because the competition was indeed
neckbreaking. As salespeople we competed for the top dog status but the
commissions were actually enormous. Basic pay was relatively alright but
it's in the commissions they pay out that the incentives could be found. I
remember receiving a direction from management to sell the Chinon CM-5 and
CG-5, both dogs in my opinion, simply because they were paying commissions
of up to $25-30 per camera! That was HUGE money then. And if that wasn't
enough, the store must've bought up the whole country's stock on a Chinon
Active-AF zoom lens on the cheap because commission on that was absolutely
mind-boggling huge - somewhere around $50 per pot! And like obedient
soldiers, we sold a ship load of them.

K.

On 15/06/07, Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> G'day Khen,
> Things have changed a bit recently, Camera Exchange has moved 50m up
> Lonsdale St. towards Michael's.  Michael's "museum" is now open to anybody
> who wants to go and have a look - well worth a visit.  I can guess how the
> cameras for the museum were acquired.  Michael's has always been a bit of
> rip-off for used gear, pay you almost nothing for a trade-in, then resell
> at
> 50% higher than any other shop in the area.
>
> ...Wayne

> List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com
> List nannies:        olympusadmin@xxxxxxxxxx

"To sin by silence when we should protest makes cowards of people" - Emily
Cox