[OM] Re: [OT] Intel Mac users only -- mac and pc the lines just

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Intel Mac users only -- mac and pc the lines just
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:16:13 -0600
Jan Steinman wrote:
 >> [I wrote, in a message which I've since deleted (sorry, folks with
threaded mail readers) source code to Windows is downloadable]

 >Sorta leaves out the high-school and college hackers, no?

  Nope, they've covered:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/sharedsource/Licensing/researchkernel.mspx

"The Windows Research Kernel (WRK) packages core Microsoft Windows XP
x64/Server 2003 SP1 kernel source code with an environment for building
and testing experimental versions of the Windows kernel for use in
teaching and research."

  Oh, and anyone can download all the source of Windows CE, and has been
able to do that for absolutely ages. Then there's the fact that MFC and
ATL are source libraries, whereas I don't think you can get the source
to Cocoa from anywhere. (using Cocoa to keep things on a level footing,
because you can't get the source to Quickdraw either, but that's closest
to GDI on Windows and there's no source to GDI. That said, a lot of GDI
lives in device drivers, and that's up to the hardware manufacturers).

  There's also piles and piles of business app source that you can
download, but frankly I don't know a CRM app from a hole in the ground
so I can't really comment on what they're giving you there.

  Back on-topic -- for the people trying these multi-OS machines, is
there any noticeable difference between running Photoshop on a Mac
native, and Photoshop on Windows-on-Apple-hardware? Other than the fact
one's in OSX and one's in Windows -- is it otherwise identical
feature/performance-wise?

  -- dan