[OM] Re: Compact flash cards for E500

Subject: [OM] Re: Compact flash cards for E500
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 20:43:34 -0400
Every image is the same size if you're shooting raw in E-things.  But
Canyon raw files are not all the same size.  They utilize lossless or
perhaps even slightly lossy compression.  Raw files for a 13MP Canyon 5D
average only about 25% larger than raw files on the 5MP E-1.  I have no
idea what Nykon, Mynolta (excuse me, Sony) or Pintax do.

I've been extremely surprised that Oly appears to do no data compression
at all.  Even a simple run length encoding method would gain them some
compression at very little cost in compute performance.  The compute
overhead would probably be less than the write time for the data they'd
no longer have to write.

Chuck Norcutt