[OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]

Subject: [OM] Re: Don't cry, just do it! [was Velvia 50 replacement]
From: "Joel Wilcox" <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 12:38:00 -0500
On 6/10/07, Bill Pearce <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since I have a reflective target, it would be, if I had Vuescan. I
> downloaded the trial, and the results didn't seem to me to be any
> improvement over the Minolta SW. So, I guess, it will remain for another
> day.
>
> Bill Pearce

I wouldn't guarantee you that Vuescan with a proper profile is going
to smoke Minolta's software because I don't know anything about it.  I
know that Ken has used both Vuescan and N*konscan and prefers the
latter now.  But Vuescan aces everything else I've tried, the most
significant competition being Silverfast, which is good if you can
keep up with the cost of the upgrades and the time it takes fiddling
with it.

You would have to take in on faith that a scan with the benefit of a
profile via Vuescan is going to surpass the Minolta SW.  On its own,
Vuescan probably won't run circles around Minolta's.  I don't know
whether I am fortunate or unfortunate in that my scanner is so old
that Polaroid's poor software put Vuescan in a position to sweep to
the rescue.  It is pretty marvelous to see the first preview of the
first negative come up once you've built a profile.  Ed Hamrick is
quite a guy.

Joel W.