[OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side

Subject: [OM] Re: Going to the dark side of the force... no, not *that* dark side, another one !
From: Larry <halpert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 14:31:17 -0400
Exactly my point. The dpreview test is just one flawed test due to lens
inconsistency (and other test oddities). Even "optimum" aperture is an
issue with the Pentax 50mm f1.4 as it has a pronounced curved field, and
its older design wasn't the best or sharpest of the 50mm set. The 50mm
f1.7 would have been far better if a 50mm was necessary.

I wasn't "insulting" your 5D. It is obviously a great camera, serves you
well, and gives you what you want. I was just commenting on tests by
owners of both cameras after different experiences encountered compared
to tests like dpreview along with taking things like understanding
default settings can be changed and affect what a specific tester is
looking for in his results.

And yes, unchangeable noise reduction added to raw and no noise
reduction added to raw on the K10D (except for the option of
dark-frame-subtraction for hot pixels) can also make a difference in detail.

The much larger sensor of the 5D makes it a bit of a  tough comparison
anyway to be saying the K10D RAW is "better". I don't own both. Other
that do only said comparable at comparable ISOs. The K10D only goes to 1600.
Though, it does retain more detail than the D80, 400D, 30D, or Sony as
Photozone saw as lens dependent. (better color accuracy, shake
reduction, and weather sealing aside).

Larry