[OM] OT Apostrophes etc ...Re: Re: Portra 160VC for Flowers

Subject: [OM] OT Apostrophes etc ...Re: Re: Portra 160VC for Flowers
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 09:50:11 +0100
The test was negative, but then I was reading for interest alone.
Spelling mistakes that I notice are normally ones that jump off the
page/screen at me (e.g. "mimick").

However, I always notice the misuse (or omission) of the pluperfect
tense, an affliction of US speech and British newspapers.  And
recently I have noticed that the BBC (Radio 4) misuses the gerund,
e.g. "... the man admitted murdering his wife ...".  This implies
that he was still in the process of murdering her; it should be, "...
the man admitted to having murdered his wife ...".  Our news media
are missing whole periods of time, misusing tenses so that you can
never be sure whether it is the recent or distant past to which they
are referring.

Other ones that grab my attention are ...

Stop Barker!  The poor man asked only about apostrophes!  You should
try being one of my students ... :-)

Chris